Tuesday 14 August 2012

Across the Pond

So it looks like I'll be in London in January, on vacation. I know, it's crazy, I should go somewhere warm and sunny and not somewhere dark and rainy, but I've wanted to go to London for years, and I'd rather do something that I've always wanted to do and something...authentic.... than one of those fake, whitey-tighty all-inclusive resort things, where you have no or very little sense of how the locals live their daily lives.

Mostly I just want to shake the dust of Toronto off of my mukluks for awhile. I need a change of scene. I need to get out of my comfort zone. I briefly considered going to the US - New York or LA or San Francisco or even Miami (they have great Art Deco down there, even if it is God's waiting room), but I don't want to go to any of those places nearly as badly as I want to go to the UK. Also, the US is too familiar. I've been to the States dozens of times (although not since Clinton was in the White House). So I thought, Well, what the hell. I 'll go to England.

I will be going alone, which feels a little surreal. Phil can't get the time off, but it's just as well, because I have a whole list of places I want to see - neighbourhoods mostly. If I go by myself, I can set the agenda.

What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment